Monday, June 8, 2015

Earth Overcome: Part 9, Agon

  Today was Mother's Day, I know this is kind of tactless, but mine is dead.  So is my Dad.  They've been like this for two years, and I've visited them before, but this was the first time I had gone there since my gaining of scales.  Sure I was in Chicago and they were in San Francisco, but when you have wings you can go anywhere.  What was weird wasn't that I had wings, or that I had just helped saved a painter ninja.  What was weird was Long, or the lack of him.  He was quiet.  My best guess was that he was leaving me alone so I could mourn. 

  It didn't take long to find their graves once I was there.  I had gone there so often when I was in the orphanage I had the path memorized.  I had flowers because that's what you bring.  It's the unspoken rule.  Well, not entirely unspoken, but I think you get it.

  "Hi Mom." I said. "Happy Mother's Day.  Hey Dad.  How are you guys?"

  I was quiet for a moment to let them respond.

  "That's good, that's great.  Hope you like the flowers.  Don't worry Dad, I'll be back for Father's Day." 

  I was quiet again.  You know, if I really concentrated I could almost hear them.

  "So." I said slowly. "I don't want to take your thunder but I kind of have a problem."  I knew they were listening because they always did. "I kind of have scales, and claws, and wings."

  I knew this was going to be long, so I sat down in front of the tombstone, and told them all of it.  I told them how I got my powers.  About how I beat Dark Sage.  I told them how Bridget was scared of me.  I told them everything about the team, our first mission and how I flew here.  There were some parts where I could here them laughing.  Some where they were quiet.  Sometimes they didn't make any sounds.  It kind of felt like they were there.

  "...and now I don't know what to do next." I finished.  I was quiet again, waiting for an answer that never came,  They were gone again, and it didn't feel like they were there anymore.

  "August?" said Long. "Someone is behind us."  The first time he spoke and he was right, someone was there.

  "So, you're here." she said.  I turned around and found my sister, Bridget and she did not look happy.  "Shouldn't you be out killing more people?" she asked.  Ouch.  That kind of hurt.

  "Bridget come on.  Not in front of Mom and Dad."

  "The reason they're dead is because of you."

  "You blame me?" I asked quietly.

  "Yes, I do."

  "Wouldn't the one who killed them be Dark Sage."

  "And who brought him into the picture?" she asked.

  "Bridget please..."

  "No!  I already told you to get out of my life.  Now stay out!"

  "You're not being fair." I said.

  "I spent two years of my life with that creep because of you!"

  "You know what?!" I told her.  "I'm sorry!  Excuse me!  I'm sorry for going to China!  I'm sorry for ending up like this!  And I'm sorry for everything else I have no control over!  So why don't you take your judgmental self and get over it."

  "What did you say to me?"

  "You know last time I checked, I'm the one with the scales.  I'm the one the bad guy tried to kill.  I'm the one with a Chinese man in my head!  So I'm sorry for wanting to see my parents!" 

  Then I turned around and stomped out of the cemetery.  Leaving her with her mouth wide open.

No comments:

Post a Comment