Tuesday, June 2, 2015

About a Bird and His Hunger

Introduction:

  This was another school assignment based off the story from yesterday.  Enjoy!

 The Story:

 
“I’m hungry.  I’m hungry.  I need food.  I’m hungry.  Wait.  I’m hungry.”  Honestly those are the thoughts I have every day.  I know it may seem primitive to your giant human mind, but I don’t have the convenience of food in my nest.  I wish I did.  That would’ve made this whole experience much easier, and then I wouldn’t be hungry.

                On that particular day I was on the hunt for, well, food.  Anything really, though I prefer worms.  It had been hard that day, not much rain so not many worms.  I decided to go to the usual house, where the lady has food.  Though when I got there the usual person wasn’t!  It was an older woman sleeping on the porch swing.  I decided I’d give it a try, so I hopped up and squawked at her.  She woke with a snort and started yelling in her weird human language.  For all I knew that meant food, but no.  She picked up a stick at started shaking at me.  I didn’t want to get hit, so I squawked again and flew away.

                I couldn’t believe her, who was she to say what I could eat and what I couldn’t eat?  Humans are spoiled brats.  All I had wanted was some food, maybe just a crumb.  Humans are terrible, well, except the ones that give me food.  Those are alright with me.

                The problem was that I was still hungry and I still needed food.  It wasn’t really fair that I had to starve, and I didn’t feel like dying.  I kept flying around the same area until I came across a tree.  A tree with a hole in it.  You wouldn’t believe what that hole was filled with.  Nuts!  Acorns and walnuts and pecans and whatever other nuts grew in that area, and there they were.  Mine for the taking.  I landed on the branch and stuck my head in.  It smelled delicious in there.  I will admit I was curious to how they all got there, but I was so hungry I didn’t care.  Just as I was about to take a bite of acorn, there was a loud squeal behind me.  I pulled my head out and looked around, it was a squirrel chattering at me.  It must have been her nest and her food.  I didn’t want to steal.  So I opened my wings and flew away.

                At this point I was on the brink of falling out of the sky.  It was all because of hunger.  I needed food.  I just wish the squirrel had been a little more kind and shared his food.  I didn’t see why he needed all those nuts.  There were plenty for both of us.  Still, I didn’t want to be rude or steal, so I had flown away, but I needed to find food before I didn’t make it to tomorrow.

                I flew for about another hour, scanning the ground for something, anything.  That’s when I saw it, something pink, something squishy.

                “Worm!” I thought.

                I immediately folded my wings in and went into a dive.  I rushed toward the ground faster, and faster.  Then I made wings pop back out just into to slow my fall enough to land.  The worm wasn’t fast enough, and I snapped it up the second I touched the ground.  Delicious.  I hopped around a little in victory, but then I decided to fly back to my nest.  I needed rest for tomorrow, because I would be hungry again.

No comments:

Post a Comment