Saturday, November 5, 2016

The Serpent's Secret

Chapter 1:
It’s another day, but not like any other..  For some reason this day is different.  It’s like something in the air has changed.  Instead of the musk and humidity there was a dangerous scent.  Like some kind of poison wafting in from uncharted territory.
I am unable to see, but I can still tell that the expressions on others faces are different.  I can hear someone behind me, walking.  For some reason their pace matches exactly with mine.  It gives me anxiety, like they are purposely trying to blend with me.  People’s footsteps typically disrupt my own, in order to trample on the impression I am making on the world.
I can’t make myself turn around, for if I turn around I feel I will lose myself in the aura of the one behind me.  The blending makes me feel even more invisible.  But also even stronger, almost as if the one behind me is purposefully increasing my power and influence.
I resisted the urge to inquire with the one behind me until I stood on the creaky floorboard that marked the place I was to sit in class.  I searched for my chair and carefully lowered myself onto it.  The draft from the window next to me gave me a large whiff of the ponds surrounding the school.  The familiar scent gave me a calm moment before a storm.
Their footsteps stopped matching mine once I set foot into the room.  They suddenly disappeared as quietly as they had appeared.  The very moment the footsteps stopped, I could once again feel the gaze of my predators.  I was not hassled when I was walking towards my seat.  Although I could still feel their gazes, they weren’t all directed at me.  It was as if another more fierce predator had entered the room.  
The particular class I was assigned to was populated by those who were low on the food chain, myself being the weakest.  It suddenly felt as if someone at the top had walked in.
All that could be heard at that moment was the sound of the trees brushing against our wooden building.  All conversation had stopped in order to gaze and admire whatever captured the attention of the room.  Because my gaze was unable to capture anything I was left in the dark.
I could hear the loud footsteps of the teacher coming in.  Her footsteps were unique.  They always resonated in my mind.  They sent out a vibration which gave me the calm feeling of flying away.  Despite being from a prey’s lineage she was fierce and could hold her own in battle.  She was taught to use the wind in order to power her attacks and speed her escape.  I admired her achievements.  She went from being preyed upon to being the one feared.
She was in charge of teaching strategic history.  She tied it into practical use and the historical importance of battle strategies.  I wasn’t all that interested in the material, but I looked up to her as a sister, and she treated me as her brother.
She stood at the top of the class, her gaze forcing the class to act in accordance to her regulations.  I heard her scratching on the chalkboard, the same she did every morning.  She would always write her name on the chalkboard, Ms. Ilda Selt.  Today, instead of immediately going into today’s material she took a moment to clear her throat.  I once again heard those footsteps, those that gave me anxiety.
I then realized what captured everyone’s attention moments before.  It was the one who was in control of those footsteps.  Even when I am unable to see I can feel that their aura is blinding.  A forceful and yet beautiful voice filled the room.  It identified itself as Theoria Huule.  Ms. Selt directed Theoria to an open to seat.  My anxiety grew as their footsteps grew closer.  The increase in volume sent shivers down my spine as I realized where she was being placed.
There was plenty of open space, considering the area of the school was scarcely occupied, but I could tell what Ms. Selt was doing.  Her attempt to bring me closer to someone would be appreciated, but would not bear fruit to any results.  She has attempted this before, and the result was a dislocated shoulder and being adrift in a pond.
Throughout the class I did my best to ignore Theoria’s presence, but I always felt her gaze on me.  The class took an eternity, but it eventually ended.  I waited for the others to leave the room before exiting myself.  The next class was outdoors.  It was a combat class, one I was fine at, but only because I was permitted to fight back.  In order to not get in trouble I allowed myself to be overpowered by others, that way they felt superior and it ended faster.
Theoria surprised me by blocking my way.  I ran into her.  The next thing she did surprised me even more.  She treated me as royalty.  She took my hand, because I was assuming violence would follow, I did not resist.  Instead of violence, she raised it to her face.  I felt something soft brush against it.  I could only assume it was her lips, I could not understand her reasoning.  Her actions were so unfamiliar to me.  Being treated with care was something I was unfamiliar with.

I could feel Theoria’s breath against my skin.  “I finally found you, your majesty.”

No comments:

Post a Comment